61-year-old Cary Collings of Puyallup, Washington managed to win the lottery TWICE in 24 hours last week. (Puyallup is 10 miles southeast of Tacoma.)
On Thursday, he bought a Red Hot 5's scratch-off lottery ticket while he was getting gas . . . and WON the grand prize of $55,555.
So on Friday morning, he set off to cash in his winning ticket. And on the way, he stopped for pizza and decided to buy three Bring on Bens scratch-off tickets.
On the first one he scratched, Cary won the grand prize AGAIN. This one was worth $200,000.
Even though he's a quarter of a million dollars richer, Cary still plans to keep his job at the Boeing factory.
They Should Call This Place Un-Friendly's
Wednesday 06-19-2013 12:06pm ET
If you work in a restaurant and want to make fun of a customer, do not do it on a receipt, which you then give to the customer. A server at a St. Louis sports bar is the latest to make this error, when she added an order for "F***** NEEDY KIDS" onto a gentleman's bill.
On Father's Day, Joseph Gibson called up Friendly's Sports Bar & Grill to ask if he could bring his child to the establishment, which usually only permits clientele 21 and up, reports the St.Louis Post-Dispatch. The man answering the phone agreed, because it was Father's Day, but when Gibson received the receipt for his fried chicken dinner there was the profane reference to needy children, right below the extra poultry leg he'd ordered for his son.
The reportedly furious Gibson uploaded a photo of the receipt to the Facebook page of the Post-Dispatch. Gibson said that he had phoned the Friendly's manager to say that he was offended, and to ask what action would be taken, and was purportedly told that "if your [sic] that highly offended then don't come in," after which the person taking the call hung up.
The Post-Dispatch called the bar and owner Denny Domachowski told the newspaper that there had been no issues -- the child was perfectly well behaved, and the service was polite. It was just a silly little joke that the waitress intended only for the cook's eyes, and had intended to delete from the bill. "Normally, those [kitchen] instructions are cleared off the bill before it's printed and given to the customer," he said. "But, obviously, they weren't."
"I can understand why the gentleman was upset," Domachowski continued, "and that's why I apologize." But in speaking to CNN, Domachowski also defended the waitress, saying that "she was just in a hurry" and that he couldn't understand why Gibson was "making a mountain of a mole hill."
Tuesday 06-18-2013 2:30pm ET
On Friday morning, a grandmother was at her home in Albuquerque, New Mexico when a guy broke in wearing a purple bandana to cover his face.
The woman wasn't about to let him rob her without a fight, though . . . so she got in his face. He grabbed her, they struggled, and she pulled his bandana down.
And that's when she saw the robber was actually her 22-YEAR-OLD GRANDSON. His name is Thomas Clark.
And instead of being a good grandson . . . or even a remotely decent human being . . . he SHOVED his grandma down, grabbed her purse, and took off.
So she called the police. And we're assuming it wasn't too hard to find him, since she could give them his name, his age, where he lives, his parents' names, and everything other possible bit of personal information they could need.
They quickly tracked him down, and he was arrested on felony robbery charges. His grandma is recovering from the cuts and bruises she suffered when he threw her down.
Top Signs Superman Is Gay
Thursday 06-13-2013 7:28am ET
There have been rumors that Henry Cavill, who plays Superman in "Man of Steel", is gay. Not that Henry's sexual orientation matters . . . but we wondered what it'd be like if his character was gay. Here are the Top Signs Superman is Gay.
- Have you seen the Fortress of Solitude? It's immaculate.
- Even though he was born over seventy years ago, he still looks like he's 28. So obviously he moisturizes.
- He has two dads.
- As soon as he could, he got the hell out of Kansas.
- He gets weak-kneed around a pretty green crystal.
- He's buff. And as we know, all buff dudes are gay.
- He keeps a secret life from his parents in the Midwest.
- The "S" on his chest stands for SASSY!
- He uses his X-ray vision to look through Jimmy Olsen's bike shorts.
- He's always standing in a sassy pose with his hands on his hips.
- No straight man wears that much Lycra.
- All those years hanging with Lois Lane and Wonder Woman and his throat is 100% cancer-free!
Mechanic Pleasures Self In Customer's Car
Monday 06-10-2013 8:33am ET
When you leave your car with a mechanic, you know that momentary fear you have about what they MIGHT do with your car? This is your nightmare.
On Thursday, a customer dropped off his black Hyundai Sonata for service at a Ford and Hyundai dealership in Salem, New Hampshire.
And there was definitely some servicing involved. Because a 44-year-old mechanic named Mark Rice went on break, got in the car . . . and started servicing HIMSELF.
And he was doing it right out in the open . . . the car was only parked about six spots away from the front entrance of the dealership. Someone saw him, called the cops, and they got there so quickly they found Mark STILL going to town on himself.
He was arrested for indecent exposure. Turns out this isn't his first time not being able to contain his randiness . . . or find a private place for self-loving. He was arrested in both 1996 and 1998 for open and gross lewdness.
Most Common Burger Mistakes At Your Cookout
Friday 06-07-2013 5:39am ET
Just in time for the weekend, we've got something to help with your summer cookouts. Check out the seven most common burger mistakes people make at barbecues.
1. Not Buying Enough Meat. Some people underestimate how much they need for a good-sized burger. For the record, it's six ounces. Then you multiply that by how many burgers you plan to make.
So if you're making four burgers, that means one-and-a-half pounds of meat. If you want 12 burgers, it's four-and-a-half pounds.
2. Buying Hamburger That's Too Lean. Most people tend to like burgers that are 80% lean and 20% fat. Any lower than that, and they won't have enough flavor.
3. Over-Handling the Meat. The more you handle it and mash it together, the less tender it is.
So you don't need to stand there for five minutes forming and re-forming a burger patty. Just do it once . . . don't pack it too tightly . . . then season it and throw it on the grill.
4. Buying Big Buns, but Making Tiny Burgers. Meaning they don't match up, so you're left with a ball of meat in the middle of way too much bun.
To make sure you DON'T do it, shape the burger patties so they're about one inch wider in diameter than the hamburger buns are. That allows room for them to shrink while they cook. And as for thickness, don't go above three-quarters of an inch.
One trick to make sure you don't end up with a hamburger BALL is to make a gentle indentation in the middle of the raw patty with your finger. That leaves room for it to puff up in the middle, and it should come out nice and flat.
5. Pressing the Patties with a Spatula While They Cook. All it does is drain the juices and dry it out, which means less taste.
Yes, it also means it gets rid of some of the fat. But if you're that worried about your diet, a burger is a bad choice to begin with.
6. Adding the Cheese Too Soon. There's no reason to add it until the very end . . . about two minutes before you want to pull the burgers off. Any earlier than that, and you'll end up with liquid cheese all over the grill.
7. Shutting the Lid to Speed Things Up. Burgers should only take about 10 minutes anyway. Four minutes per side, then you flip it one more time, add cheese, and wait two more minutes.
Shutting the lid does speed things up a LITTLE, but the burgers don't cook evenly, and usually end up with a weird smoky taste.
Four Things Your Pets Hate
Wednesday 06-05-2013 6:10am ET
You might be surprised, but a lot of things you do to show love to your pets are actually the OPPOSITE of what they need. Cracked.com just put out a list of some things almost all pet owners do, which HURT pets instead of helping them.
1. Hugging your dog. According to Cracked.com, dogs actually HATE it when you put your face next to theirs. Supposedly it's a claustrophobia thing, so hugging or kissing them can freak them out.
And if it gets REALLY stressed, or you're not THAT familiar, you might get bitten out of nowhere . . . even by a dog that has never bitten anyone before.
2. Staring into a cat's eyes. People like to do it because cats are so good at staring back. But cats see it as a sign of aggression. They're more affectionate with people who DON'T stare. When you look at a cat, blink slowly so it knows you're not a threat.
3. Feeding them people food. Believe it or not, cats are lactose-intolerant. They're not supposed to drink milk. And dogs should never have bones or raw meat . . . for the same reasons we don't eat them ourselves.
4. Buying pets from a pet store. The ASPCA says 99% of the puppies sold in stores come from puppy mills, where they're usually horribly abused. If you bought your pet from a big place like Petco, you probably rescued it from the worst experience of its life.
But on the other hand, supporting that store is helping to doom thousands of other animals to the same awful fate.
Top Signs You Need A New Car
Tuesday 06-04-2013 1:39pm ET
U.S. car sales are up, which means that Americans are once again out buying automobiles. Does that include you? It should if you recognize anything from these Top Signs You Need a New Car.
You're tired of listening to the Warrant tape that's been stuck in your player since '89.
While they look like new floor mats, that's actually 10 years of dropped French fries.
The "check engine" light that's been on in your car for three years has finally burned out.
It's called a Saab. Not because of its brand. Because that's what looking at it makes people do.
Every time you step on the gas, it wheezes like a fat man's Vespa.
It's getting harder to find replacement parts for a '72 Gremlin.
When you park it at the curb on garbage day, they try to take it.
Your Carfax is 73 pages long.
It's old enough to have a "John McCain for Continental Congress" bumper sticker.
It blows so much white smoke when you start it . . . people think they've elected a new pope.
You call it the "Chris Christie" because it makes a lot of noise and never runs.
One time you parked it and put "The Club" on the steering wheel . . . and you came back to see that someone stole The Club.
A Man Goes Doggy Style... Literally
Monday 06-03-2013 2:30pm ET
Last Wednesday 50-year-old Gerardo Perez went on a tour of Chicago's animal control shelter. And as they walked through the pound, he very quietly ducked off of the tour.
Because apparently one particularly sexy PIT BULL caught his eye . . . and he decided to have BESTIAL SEXUAL RELATIONS with it on the spot.
When employees realized Gerardo was missing, they went looking for him . . . and found him on his hands and knees next to the pit bull, after he just finished having sex with it.
He was arrested on Friday for one felony count of having sexual conduct with an animal, and one count of burglary.
There's no word on the condition of the pit bull.
PICS & VIDEO: Horsing Around In A Liquor Store
Thursday 05-30-2013 6:12am ET
WARREN, R.I. -
Police were called to a liquor store in Warren Monday night for reports of property damage, but the story is far stranger than it sounds.
The owner of the Shetland pony brought it into the store, allowed the pony to defecate on a rug and failed to properly clean up after it.
The store owner was prepared to press charges and called police. But police were able to de-escalate the incident by bringing the pony's owner, William Saviano, back to the store to clean up after the pony.
Saviano, 51, said before entering the liquor store he was at a children's pony show down the street. He said he stopped by to pick up wine on the way home.
Saviano and other store patrons were laughing before Saviano left. Saviano and the pony were caught on several of the store's 20 security cameras.
Police said Saviano has an extensive criminal history dating back to 1988. He's been charged with domestic assault, disorderly conduct, malicious destruction of property and driving under the influence of alcohol, among other things.